Monday 25 April 2011

Put a sock in it

I saw it fit to place the following description and demonstration in my blog, as it perfectly highlights an example of my battle as a business bohemian.

My hair is long, and somewhat wavy. I love to leave it loose and flowing, but the 'bed head' head look sometimes just doesn't cut it in the corporate environment. I hate spending hours on my hair, and think time is precious in the mornings before school, work or play. Instead of labouring over a hot hair dryer, I most often used to opt for gel, clips, and the no mess no full tight bun look. The look did the job. It was squeaky clean, not a strand out of place. It was also very boring and plain.

I got bored with this look and started searching for some alternatives. I began with teasing the 'bun' to make it look bigger, only to find my hair starting to thin from all the teasing. On  my quest for the biggest, most glamorous bun, that took minutes to do, I came across a phenomena that would soon change my early morning, boring and stale ritual.

                                                       
                     Enter the sock bun.

My sock bun in @livloo's hair


Hair buns are a chic and easy way to style your hair. The are as gorgeous and classic today, as when they were socially acceptable only for matrons to wear. There is something about a well done and chic bun, that exudes class and sass. The first appearance of 'buns' was made in Greece, where they were woman by men and woman alike. They were typically used to exhibit fancy hair pins, which were a sign of ones wealth. Later in history, in the Victorian era, buns were used typically for older woman and were considered to be boring and plain. Nowadays, there is a plethora of bun variations which can be suitable for any occasion, regardless of whether you are corporate diva or hopeless hippie.

So the sock bun uses an old sock (or two if you would like it bigger). The result is a larger than life, full to the brim bun, that is neat and easy to execute.

Instructions:

  • Find an old sock, similar to the colour of your hair
  • Cut of the 'toes' so that the sock is open on either end
  • Roll the sock up into a doughnut shape
  • Brush your hair back into a tight pony tail, in line with where you want to bun to be positioned
  • Place the end bit of your pony tail through the doughnut sock, so that about 3 cm of your hair sticks out
  • Wrap the 3 cm of hair around the doughnut sock
  • Continue to push the sock outwards, whilst folding your hair into the sock, until the sock is tightly secured at the base of your pony tail
  • Secure the bun with pins 

My sock bun to the side in my own hair

My high sock bun in Jacqui H's hair

My side sock bun in Robs S's hair

2 comments:

  1. Lol@Business Bohemian. Amy - please devise a hair trick for us girls with afros. I know its beyond your jurisdiction but I'm in need of a serious hair intervention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rings Im on it. Afro hair tricks will be my new blog post :)

    ReplyDelete